Check Engine Light in Grants Pass, OR
Check Engine Light in Grants Pass, Oregon, 97526
When something is wrong with one of your vehicle’s parts, it can be hard to tell right off the bat. Luckily, our vehicles come equipped with a system that alerts us when something is wrong. Through our dashboard lights, our vehicle will show us which area of the car needs to be taken a look at. Whether you drive a Ford, Toyota, Mercedes-Benz, or Volkswagen, these dashboard lights have mostly universal appearances.
However, sometimes it is not very obvious what this light is trying to tell us. One dashboard lights that turn on when various parts are malfunctioning is the check engine light. If your check engine light turns on, it is a good idea to observe when the light turns on and if the light is flashing or is steady. Generally speaking, a steady check engine light does not mean the issue is immediately urgent (although you should still get the issue checked out), but if the light is flashing, you should bring your car to an auto repair shop immediately. If you are in Grants Pass, Wilderville, Wolf Creek, Kerby, Cave Junction, or nearby, you can come to STAR Automotive in Josephine County. We can determine why your check engine light has turned on and fix the issue efficiently and skillfully.
Here are some reasons your check engine light may have turned on:
- Oxygen sensor failure: Your vehicle’s oxygen sensor measures the amount of unburnt oxygen in a car’s exhaust system. If this sensor is failing, your engine will keep running but your vehicle will be burning more fuel than usual.
- Loose fuel cap: If your check engine light turns on right after you’ve gotten gas, it’s likely that you just have a loose fuel cap or you forgot to screw it back on.
- Catalytic converter failure: The catalytic converter turns the carbon monoxide produced during the combustion process into carbon dioxide. Getting regular oil changes will help keep the catalytic converter in shape. We at STAR Automotive can take care of that for you, along with preventative maintenance, engine repair, cooling system service, and suspension repair.
- Spark plug/ignition coil issues: An ignition coil generates electricity the spark plugs need to ignite the air and fuel mixture in your vehicle’s cylinders. If you have a diesel vehicle, you do not have spark plugs or ignition coils.
- Bad spark plug wires: Some signs of bad spark plug wires include idling, a noticeable drop in engine performance, and the check engine light turning on.
- Mass airflow sensor failure: The mass airflow sensor monitors how much air enters the engine. If you are experiencing a rough idle or trouble starting, you can come to STAR Automotive so we can check out your mass airflow sensor.
Your Reliable Shop for Check Engine Light
We at STAR Automotive in Grants Pass are experts in all things auto repair. We’ve been fixing cars since 1987 and our owner Jim Lefeber and technicians have decades of combined experience. We can perform a multitude of services on your vehicle, including brake repair, engine repair, and wheel alignment. Here’s why you should choose us:
- We have a comfortable waiting area with free Wi-Fi.
- All our services come with a nationwide warranty.
- We offer free loaner cars and have rental car discounts available through Enterprise.
- We have a review score of 99.99 based on reviews from 213 satisfied customers.
To schedule an appointment with STAR Automotive in Grants Pass, give us a call at 541-579-2012 or schedule an appointment online at https://stargp.com/contact/.
James A. Lefeber (Jim) Joined: 11/1990
David McKenzie - Joined: 1983
Edward Armstrong - Joined: 08/2002
Travis Natho - Joined: 05/2009
Reasons to Choose STAR Automotive
Friendly, Professional Service
24 Hour Vehicle Drop Off
Free Loaner Cars
Comfortable Waiting Area
Convenient Downtown Location
Free Local Shuttle to Work, School, Home, Shopping
Rental Car Discounts Available through Enterprise
Vehicle Pick-up & Drop-off
A Few Words from Our Customers
"Great job guys! I brought my 1994 Impala SS in to have new bearings put in the rear end they did a fantastic job in good time for an honest price. I will be using them now for many projects that I have as well as others. Thanks again, great job."
"Ed, Dave, Travis and the rest of the team at Star Automotive were great! They quickly diagnosed the problem, a blown radiator hose, fixed it and had me back on the road the same day. I appreciated their honesty as well. I would definitely recommend and return back to this shop if I need service for my automobile. Thanks again for the great job. "
" From my first phone contact, all the way through the job, everyone was very friendly, professional, and thorough. The job seems to have been done satisfactorily. The price was a bit higher than what another local shop estimated, but you can't beat the quality service from STAR. Definitely recommend! :)"